baslinux - [BL] Kernel 2.4.31 works with USB zip drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Kernel 2.4.31 works with USB zip drive
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:30:36 +0000 (UTC)

We were testing a Memorex USB card reader, which works in DOS in a computer (eMachine) where our ImageMate CF/SM reader does not work in DOS.
(You need to add two drivers in config.sys).

Both work in linux with David's 1-floppy USB linux, and also with his full-size kernel if I copy over the missing modules (scsi_mod, sd_mod, usb_uhci, usb-storage) from the 1-floppy linux to the ext2 linux.
(This may not be the most recent set of modules for his kernel, it was just what happened to be on the computer already).

insmod scsi_mod, sd_mod, usbcore, usb_uhci (or usb_ohci), usb-storage.

The memory card is sda1.

We then unplugged the card reader, got a message about something being unloaded, and plugged in the zip drive, and without us having to unload or load any drivers it immediately identified it as sdb4. (Presumably it would be sda4 if it were the first device we had plugged in).

I have not checked if we can load all the modules before plugging in the first device and then have it recognized when it is plugged in.

So this kernel and modules (and probably also my kernel and modules) work with a wide variety of USB mass storage devices:
USB memory card reader
USB camera
USB memory stick (pen drive)
USB zip drive (iomega)

The zip drive also worked with the DOS drivers, as does the memory stick and camera. I think the other card reader works in DOS with some computers but not others.

What sorts of USB mass storage devices have people gotten working with kernel 2.2.26?

You can also use a CF to PCMCIA adaptor with older kernels to read CF cards, or a parport zip drive. (scsi_mod, sd_mod, parport, parport_pc, imm or ppa).