baslinux - Re: [BL] Xserver problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xserver problem
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:05:58 +1200

Prof. Mladen Pavicic wrote:

> > execute: tar -zxvf /fd/disk2.tgz usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>
> Yes, this works.

So startx was the problem. That means you installed
something that overwrote startx. You said you installed
fvwm2, but the fvwm2.tgz package does not overwrite startx.

> There is still the following problem though.
> Upon executing startx I get the following messages:
> rxvt: Failed to open input method
> Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

It appears you installed the xbin.tgz package, which
is the foundation X package for Slackware. However,
BL3 already has an X foundation (based on Xvesa).
If you installed xbin.tgz, it overwrote bits of the
BL3 X foundation (including startx). If that is the
case, your X foundation is now a hodge-podge.

> And when I open XFig it is too large for the ice window

Can't you increase the icewm window to full-screen?
And/or use a smaller font?

> I guess this is because of the fonts that cannot be scalled.

There is one scalable font in BL3, but AFAIK rxvt can't
use scalable fonts. Perhaps it would help to install the
font package(s) from Slackware. BL3 only has the bare
minimum fonts.