baslinux - [BL] DOS mouse drivers mess up Xvesa in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] DOS mouse drivers mess up Xvesa in BL3.40
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 02:11:24 +0000 (UTC)

We have three mice that don't work with drmouse (one is logitech, they are all serial) but work with ctmouse and mouse.com. Also a serial trackball that won't work with drmouse. So we tried ctmouse and mouse.com, which prevented BL3 from booting (it goes right into X). We then tried a mouse which works with drmouse and again Xvesa comes out blank (you can't even switch terminals, the othe terminals go blank too).

The fix is to put in the booting file one of the following, if you load a mouse driver whenever you boot into dos and then boot with loadlin:

ctmouse /u
mouse /u drmouse /u

I loaded all three drivers in DOS then unloaded them all in the boot.bat file and Xvesa is working again.

Presumably the conflict is due to Xvesa using a mouse driver that wants the same RAM as the DOS ones.

We are setting up three linux internet computers with dos games for my neighbor and two of her daughters (for their kids to play the games).
The small linux games don't seem to come with onscreen help and are too complicated for kids, and/or don't work in BL3, except hangman. For DOS we found three typing programs, several math and spelling programs, various sports games to practice with a mouse (volleyball, basketball...) and the usual shoot the monster types. DOS loderunner and digger and various castle and snake games. Did not find as nice a freecell game as for linux.

Opera does a bit better with more than 32MB RAM (even a swap file did not stop it from suddenly exiting). I switched to 8.52 because I can't find a way to make 7.23 identify as IE and the city code is at a site that refuses to admit Opera.

We used 120MB to 200MB drives, half linux, half DOS. More memory eliminates the need for a swap file. 16MB Simms are free around here.

I am charging them for the computers - $10 for just DOS and 32MB RAM and 1MB video RAM, $25 for 33K modem, 128MB RAM, 2MB video ram and XVESA capability and CD-ROM drive with headphones.

The serial mice are so they don't plug the mice into the keyboard ports.
And they are easier to plug in without bending the pins, as are the large plug keyboards.