baslinux - [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:19:57 +1000

Hi Folks,

I am in the fortunate position of having just bought a new machine (1
GB RAM, CPU 2GH+) with a matched pair of 120 GB SATA hard drives. This was
built for me with no, repeat NO, operating system installed. This is for me
to play with top-of-the-range Linux distros, and is not going to be
mission-critical for a long time. I have set up a DOS partition on drive 1,
and have successfully installed SW 10.2 (booting with loadlin from C:),
together with a Ubuntu (ditto), (not impressed with Ubuntu !).
SuSE 10.1 insists on installing GRUB, which I am not so sure about, so I have
aborted that installation.
And I thought it would be nice to see how BL3 performs on such a fast machine.

Unfortunately, I cannot get BL3 (loop) to run properly, it gets kernel
panic when it doesn't find its files in C:\baslin, because it doesn't seem to
be able to read the SATA drive (although it does record hde1, hde2 during the
first part of the bootup). I tried editing initrd.img (on another machine)
to include a search of hde1, hde2, and copied it over, but that also failed.

SATA - Serial ATA hard drive. (?)

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Ron