baslinux - [BL] shockwave flash 7 killed opera 7 in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] shockwave flash 7 killed opera 7 in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:59:10 +0000 (UTC)

I downloaded the shockwave flash 7 for linux installer and manually
copied over the .so and the .xpt files to the opera plugins directory
(both the installed version and the untarred file from which I can run with cd /opera*, ./opera - script).

There is also a flash.so file in plugins (along with the flashplayer.so that I copied there).

I told Opera (in Preferences, Plugins) to look for new plugins.
Something (I forget what) happened. I should take notes. I can't recreate the problem because Opera no longer loads.

It gives me a 'bus error' if I run it with 'opera' (installed version) or just goes back to the prompt if run as cd /opera* , ./opera (from the uninstalled directory).

If I chroot to BL3 I can run Opera there.

If I try to run the BL3 Opera from BL2 'bus error', same if I copy the BL3 directory to a new directory and try to run it from there.

I don't have opera 8 on this computer to test.

I don't have lesstif installed, I thought it was not needed for Opera 7, just Opera 8 plugins.

How do I undo whatever Opera did to BL2? Rebooting did not help (after changing the names of both the flash files by adding .bak).

Could I somehow look for files changed at between 12:45 and 1:00 on Friday the 7th of July?