baslinux - Re: [BL] can't network with Basiclinux on 486

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] can't network with Basiclinux on 486
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:43:18 +1200

Jason Kooner wrote:

> I had to mount the floppy using 'mount /dev/fd0 /mnt'

The following should also work: mount /fd

> wasn't the floppy supposed to be mounted during the
> BL3 install?

No, you need to mount the floppy every time you insert
a floppy (and umount it before you remove the floppy).

> -------------
> insmod rtl8139.o
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.105
> --------------------
> I could ping to my other computer

Sounds good.

> I loaded up the browser, (links-0.90) but I can't browse
> any web site. I get "Error Host not found".

Is the web site being served locally (192.168.1.x)
or is it on the internet? If it's on the internet,
you need a route to the internet. Hopefully there
is a computer on your local network acting as a
gateway to the internet. If so, what is its address?

> I tried editing etc/resolv.conf by changing the DNS to:
> ---------------
> nameserver 68.87.72.130
> nameserver 68.87.77.130
> -------------------
> Was I supposed to do this?

You do need a Domain Name Server (to convert URLs
to dotted-quad addresses). Looks like you are
pointing to one on the internet. That DNS will
not work until you establish a route to the internet.

> What about links-->Setup-->Network options?

No, you need to do a "route add" command to establish
a route to the internet. If you tell me the address
of the gateway computer, I will give you the exact
command to execute.