baslinux - Re: [BL] can't network with Basiclinux on 486

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] can't network with Basiclinux on 486
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:47:15 +1200

Jason Kooner wrote:

> So it looks like it doesn't recognize my hawking ethernet card.
> ###_ACTIVATE ETHERNET_###
> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

You need to activate the card before you activate ethernet.

> Do I need to load a driver for my ethernet card?

Yes, install the module (driver) for your particular
ethernet card. You say it is a hawking.

Is it a Hawking PCMCIA card? If so, execute /etc/pcmcia/start.
If that works (i.e. gives you eth0), then execute your ifconfig.

If it is a Hawking PCI card (not PCMCIA), then it probably uses
the Tulip module (which is not included in the default BL3).
You will find that module at the BL3 site in the net directory.
Put it in your /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc directory. Then do:
insmod tulip
If that gives you eth0, then execute your ifconfig.

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully we will be able to get
it working for you.