baslinux - [BL] RivaTNT works ok

  • From: Herman Mansilla <herman_blues AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] RivaTNT works ok
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
(I had some Email problem,
Hope you dont get 2 copies of this message)

Thanks for the prompt reply

--- 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Herman Mansilla wrote:
> >
> > I just installed BasicLinux 3.4 on my PC, details
> > VgaCard Voodoo3 PCI 16MB
> > It boots without problems, but I cannot start
> XWindow
the problem is about some incompatibility between
Voodoo3 and the XVesa server

> Are you running from HD, floppies, or DOS loop file?
>From DOS with Loopback filesystem

> > it gives some wierd error message about
> > an interrupt not going to the ROM
> Does that happen when you select VGA (640x480x4) ?
The same problem, so it must be the Voodoo3, because
I tried running BasicLinux from inside a virtual PC
emulator called Bochs nad it works ok. No problems
with XWindow.

> > I will try tomorrow with a real old machine :-)
> > 486dx4 100MHz
> > 400MB HardDisk
> > 8MB ram
It boots ok, and it runs Xwindow without problems
with the RivaTNT PCI 16MB

> The floppy version of BL3 needs 12mb RAM, so you
> will first
> need the DOS version. I suggest you use DOS fdisk
> to make
> a small bootable DOS partition. 40mb is sufficient
I will use all the 400MB for BasicLinux from the
loopback filesystem. If space is not enough I will
create other bigger loopback file and mount it in
/usr/local

> Probably the biggest issue is getting the 2.9mb zip
> file to the machine.
> Or you
> could split the file into two pieces
I used a small utility called split.exe
check it
www.geocities.com/herman_blues/bin/

> > Since the name of the Distribution is BasicLinux,
> > it would be nice if it included a Basic Language
> > interpreter like Chimpmunk Basic or Yabasic
>
> There's no room for that in the basic 3mb
> distribution,
Chimpmunk Basic binary is about 126kb
Yabasic 258KB but depends on several Libraries like
ncurses, libICE libX11 etc.

> > the initial Ramdisk that you are using mounts the
> > partition as msdos filesystem, which does not let
> you
> > see the long filenames from Windows, Why no mount
> it
> > as vfat instead?
>
> vfat capability makes the kernel larger. If you
> want
> that capability, you should get the vfat.o module
> from
> the fs directory of the 2.2.26 modules (at the BL3
> site)
> and put it in /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc directory of
> BL3.
> Then execute:
> -----------
> insmod vfat
> If you want this done automatically (at system
> startup),
> you can put that command in /etc/rc
I will try that, but I think this should be done from
the initial ramdisk to be effective.
Thanks
Bye!
-HHMM