baslinux - Re: [BL] need mke2fs help

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BSand003 AT ucr.edu, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] need mke2fs help
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:52:06 +0000 (UTC)

If you have only one partition and don't want to make any others, first make a 2-floppy-disk BL3, then use that to reformat the Win98 partition after booting from the floppy disks. Use fdisk (in DOS or linux) to determine which partition Win98 is on. Let's assume you have one hard drive. fdisk /dev/hda (after booting from linux). m for a menu, p to 'print' a list of all the partitions. If /dev/hda1 is the Win98 partition (the biggest one) follow instructions to change the partition to type ext2 instead of fat16 or fat32 DOS. You have completed step (1)

mke2fs -c /dev/hda1 - this formats the partition for ext2, while checking for bad sectors (step 2) Wait until this finishes.

While still running linux from the floppy disks, install-to-hd (I have not done this from floppy disk). I think the floppy disk version is still only available for BL3.32.

To mount the linux partition: from the floppy or loop linux, type
mount /dev/hda1 /hd

Or if you want to install BL3.40 and have an extra partition of at least 25MB, first make a BL3 'baslin' directory in it and download the loop version of BL3.40 to it, then use fdisk and mke2fs on the larger partition and install-to-hd.

If you want you can simply delete all the existing partitions, make a 25MB /dev/hda1, put DOS and BL3.40 loop onto it, and then use the rest of the drive for BL3.40. Use floppy-disk linux or even a DOS boot disk.