baslinux - Re: [BL] About the Core itself...

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] About the Core itself...
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:50:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Christian Brandt wrote:

Are you avoiding ulibc so you can use Slackware-packages? ulibc should
use even less memory. Or does it miss some critical features?

Steven will probably answer this too, since he has actual compiling experience using uclibc, whereas I don't. But problems getting some programs to compile under uclibc have been discussed on this list, and I believe this is the reason uclibc is not used more in BL. Seems uclibc's not quite ready for prime time. Think that's why Steven went with the old reliable libc5 as a foundation library. uclibc has been used mainly to compile some static binaries, both by Steven and other members (e.g., David) who've made add-on programs.

James