baslinux - Re: [BL] slow kde?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow kde?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:04:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Kunle 'bona wrote:

i installed kde on bl2 (along with the necessary addons) however i find that if i hve to move a window, it drags (as if i don't have enough resources) since i' using a p4 i don't think this shld happen; just want to know, is this normal or is there some setting that i have wrong? my xserver is either Xvesa (the one that cmes with bl3) or XF86_FBDev, haven't been able to get any display with the svga server 'cos of my monitor that supports only 60hz refresh rate (according to windows anyway); also i like using 1024x768 resolution

I just discovered that the DOS shareware program hwinfo (which I think you can run from a DOS floppy boot disk), used with a 101-key keyboard and the left-most arrow keys (but not the number pad arrow keys on my 84-key keyboards) will list monitor refresh rates. First menu item, video, arrow down to monitor, hit Enter. Maybe hwinfo also works with a mouse.

Does Windows display window movement faster on this same monitor?

Is linux detecting all of your onboard memory? Type 'free'. If you use loadlin, you can add at the end of the boot line mem=256M (or 512M, etc.). On some motherboards, linux will only see the 64MB max that DOS sees if you don't tell it memory size. kde uses lots of memory - type 'top' to find out how much. Do your windows move faster with icewm?