baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux-3.40

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux-3.40
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:23:10 +1300

Ken Martwick wrote:

> As an experiment, BL-3.40 was also tested on an HP Athlon.
> Booting was a problem, because the 2.2.x kernels see the
> first (only) HDD as /dev/hde.

Wow, that's weird. I expect that will only be a problem
with the loop version. The ramdisk version (2-floppy)
should work. However, I haven't done the ramdisk 3.40
yet. The 2-floppy version is *much* more complicated to
package than the loop version. So I want to give users
a chance to find bugs in the loop version before I work
on the 2-floppy.

> Xvesa just produces a black screen. The video is VIA.

I suggest you try the 2-floppy version (when it is ready).
It uses no DOS, so Xvesa might be happier. However,
unfortunately, Xvesa does not work with everything. I've
got one computer with an unusual on-board video chip that
refuses to work with Xvesa. But it works fine with the
vga16 server from Slackware 4.0 (using the no-xvesa.tgz
package for BL3).