baslinux - Re: [BL] new release of BL?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new release of BL?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:01:02 -0800

On 12/13/05, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org <3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> David Moberg wrote:
> >
> > Do you plan to upgrade some packages
>
> Probably not. Later versions are usually larger and
> I don't want to increase the size of the base. I think
> the kernel upgrade is worthwhile (particularly because
> it gives users access to a better range of modules).

OK, I certainly agree with that decision. Being able to
fit on two floppies, and also work on relatively 'old'
PCs, is a much better feature than senseless eyecandy
and bloat.

> > such as busybox? They have version 1.01 out now, which
> > I suspect is slightly more stable than the prerelease
> > version which is in BL3.
>
> I have been very happy with the performance/stability of
> the current busybox (unlike some of the earlier versions).
> I see no reason to change it (particularly since I no
> longer have a uClibc partition).

Was 0.60.5 very stable? It might be too old to be useful
to BL3/4 now.

BTW, is this next BL a major or minor version increment?
I guess it breaks compatibility with old modules, so it
should likely be BL4?

David