baslinux - Re: [BL] new release of BL?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new release of BL?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:55:56 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> > I have been very happy with the performance/stability of
> > the current busybox (unlike some of the earlier versions).
> > I see no reason to change it (particularly since I no
> > longer have a uClibc partition).
>
> Among other things, they fixed bugs in sed, bunzip, cp, grep, httpd,
> tar and telnet, and shrank init and nc.

I like busybox because they actually try to make newer versions
smaller, not larger.

> Is grep supposed to find things in files beginning with '.'?

With what command line? To find string "clark" in all files in
the current directory:

grep -l "clark" .* *

No, a single * does not include files starting with ., by default.
This isn't grep's fault, it is a feature of your shell (ash/bash).
Use the 'find' command to search subdirectories:

find -exec grep -l "clark" '{}' ';'

This includes all files beginning with '.', but I don't think it
works with busybox find.

> Will you use the latest uclib (Aug 17 2005, 0.9.28) to compile anything
> for the next BL?

I think he is using libc5 for now. I am still using 0.9.27 for compiling,
haven't gotten around to downloading 0.9.28 yet. The uClibc folks
seem to break binary compatibility with every single little release.

David