baslinux - Re: [BL] iPod and BasicLinux

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] iPod and BasicLinux
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:21:58 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Stephen Clement wrote:

I've got DeLi Linux on my laptop and I've figured out how to use my iPod
with it. Since it uses a 2.2.26 kernel, etc. it should be fairly easy to
do with BasicLinux, so I thought I might explain how I did it:

FYI, I had problems doing this before I had "prepared" my iPod with
iTunes on WinXP.

First of all, you *need* kernel 2.2.26. Grab it and all the usb-related
stuff, specically usb-storage is important.
<snip>

Hmmm, another wrinkle in this usb-storage drama. Whereas David couldn't get usb storage working with Steven's kernel or the one David himself custom compiled, it sounds like it _does_ work with Deli and its kernel. David claimed there must be some bug in the usb handling of the 2.2.26 kernel, but Stephen's experience and directions seem to weigh against this. So, what's up? Do only certain _types_ of usb storage work with the 2.2.26 kernel and its modules? The mystery deepens . . . Maybe someone should take a look at the Deli kernel config file?

James