baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux on a scsi drive and Windows self-extracting files

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux on a scsi drive and Windows self-extracting files
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:48:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005, sindi keesan wrote:
Is there anything special we need to do to boot to a linux scsi drive with
loadlin? I have the DOS scsi driver(s) already working.

You need use a SCSI-aware kernel, with your SCSI controller and SCSI
disk support set to 'Y' (or an initrd to insert the modules). You also need
to set your root to /dev/sd??.

I think I need a kernel where the scsi devices are compiled into the kernel, rather than using modules for scsi_mod and sd_mod, such as the SW71 scsi kernel. Then at boot time I should see something like
sda: sda1 as with the USB camera (usb-storage). And I would need to set the scsi hard disk to some id not already in use (such as 1, 2, 3).

Do you have any idea what is going wrong with the scsi setup in my scsi computer? Today nothing but the zip drive will work.

I have a scsi CD-RW device (which may be dying, today I got complaints about it from aic7xxx) and it is set to id=4. The zip drive is id=5 (I try setting it to id=6 but it persists in being 5). The scanner (which the card is not recognizing today) is set to 5 (I changed it to 6 but it still can't find it). The Adaptec card is id 7.

Until today the controller was working with everything, except that the CD-burner was only burning 80% of any file to CD-ROM.

Then today for a while it was finding the zip drive and CD burner, but not the scanner. I replaced the Microtek with an HP scanner and aic7xxx started spitting out error messages so I put back the Microtek and still got the same messages (something about parsing and id 4, which is the zip drive, this being the only scsi device that works now). I will try removing the CD-burner (id 4) to see if the controller is happier.

I discovered this while trying to make a photocopy for a client (who showed up while I was in the middle of changing the video card). Would a Trio3D video card mess up the scsi controller somehow, but only gradually do so? It was working fine in my other scsi computer.

I read something about scsi devices interfering with each other sometimes.

Besides booting from scsi disk, another option is to use both IDE and scsi drive, and burn CDs after writing the file to the scsi drive first. We have about 8 2GB scsi drives and even an external holder for one.

I could boot to linux on the IDE drive, with BL kernel, then insmod scsi_mod and sd_mod and aic7xxx, and mount the sda number aic7xxx finds.

David