baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:36:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/9/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

I learned that there are three formats of USB.
ohci (USB 1.0 and 1.1) - most brands of chip - since 1996
uhci (ditto) - VIA and Intel chips only, more software based so cheaper to
manufacture, more cpu intensive.

ehci (USB 2.0 - since 2000)

ehci actually works with uhci, but only at the USB 1.1 speed. No big deal
if you are only using a camera with a small memory card, or a keyboard.

Or a pre-2000 computer which does not have USB 2.0 anyway.

In DOS you can specify whether to expect ohci uhci or ehci, in order to
speed up the scan. Can you do this in linux while booting with the usb
scsi kernel using loadlin?

I don't think so. How long does the scan take?

About 30 seconds but that also includes looking for attached devices.
Using switches /o or /u might save 5 seconds.

If I use a kernel with only module support, I could load either uhci or ohci modules, depending on the computer. Or I could compile my own kernel eventually.

I speeded up the iomega guest program by remarking out all the inappropriate drivers.

David