baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 04:51:26 +0000 (UTC)

BL2 uses an April 2004 busybox insmod. This gives me lots of error
messages when I try to insmod usb-storage, even using the SW81 scsi/usb
kernel which loads usb-uhci and usb-ohci at boot time. I posted the
messages in another posting.

Would you suggest the BL3 busybox, or an insmod from SW71 or from SW81?

SW81, if possible. SW71 insmod might not work with Linux 2.4.

Thanks, Probably we will try this tomorrow.

We have three USB cards, two ohci (Opti chip) and one uhci (Via chip).
One Opti works with DOS camera, one does not (this one appears to have never been used, in a sealed bag) nor does the VIA.

DSL won't work with the USB keyboard using any of these. It works in another computer with onboard USB. We did not try the camera with it (and usb-storage.o) because it did not work on a different computer with onboard USB, with the camera. It works with keyboard and mouse, but insmod usb-storage I think crashes it.

Windows mouse won't work with any of them either. It is supposed to support both ohci and uhci. Our sealed card I think is USB 1.1, Sept 1998 or later, and we have Win98 SE which should support 1.1.

I am hoping Slackware 9.1 will work with all three cards and we will then try SW81 kernel with SW81 insmod.

We offered a computer to a local subsidized housing place, and the guy who was willing to set it up and maintain it, when asked about the minimum they needed ,said Pentium 4 would be nice but they could manage with Pentium 3. What we can spare is 200MHz, Pentium I. Why do they think they need a new computer for people to go on the internet? I offered to put linux on but he wanted Windows and thought the council could afford to pay for Windows. Yahoo required 266MHz and 64MB RAM for their DSL software to work. I connected with BL3 on a 486 with 24MB RAM.

We did not put SW91 on the friend's 120GB drive because after we partitioned it, and formatted it (format recognized 48GB) linux cfdisk found a 120GB drive with no free sectors. We would need to repartition to 40GB and reinstall Win98. I am sick of Win98 and decided to not bother.

I would have put linux on a second smaller drive for him but Gateway did not see fit to provide a free bay. They do, however, let you use the keyboard in DOS. (It is just that it stops working if you load the camera USB drivers for DOS). Our computer with onboard USB and PS/2 won't work with DOS USB keyboard, because it has a different BIOS. So it should be possible to put linux even on the Gateway computer with USB only and boot with loadlin, if you can get USB working in linux. I won't ask again for a small USB kernel until I get BL2 working with the SW81 usb kernel.

I can't imagine why the DOS driver worked with only one of the two Opti USB controller cards, both ohci.

David