baslinux - Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB mass storage with SW81. kernel
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:33:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/8/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

We offered a computer to a local subsidized housing place, and the guy who
was willing to set it up and maintain it, when asked about the minimum
they needed ,said Pentium 4 would be nice but they could manage with
Pentium 3. What we can spare is 200MHz, Pentium I. Why do they think
they need a new computer for people to go on the internet?

Probably because of websites which require Internet Explorer 6, Windows
XP, and new hardware.

The people who will be using these computers are not employed. They don't need to be able to access 100% of all websites at lightning speed. Are there really websites that don't work with Mozilla for things other than XP? The proposed location is subsidized housing for people with physical, emotional, and mental disabilities, or low-income recent immigrants living on E. European pensions. The person who said he would look into this has a spinal cord injury. He did not think linux would be suitable here (and he had never used it). We are thinking of switching another friend over from Windows/Opera to linux/Opera some time soon since all he uses is the browser. It could be set to automatically startx and load opera.

Once in a while Opera won't access some feature of a website.
Mozilla might access everything.

I am going to ask a local ISP about donating a DSL line and maybe set up a linux computer there by myself. BL2 with Mozilla (and whatever glibc it needs).

I would have put linux on a second smaller drive for him but Gateway did
not see fit to provide a free bay. They do, however, let you use the
keyboard in DOS. (It is just that it stops working if you load the camera
USB drivers for DOS).

Doesn't DOS have a USB keyboard driver? The USB keyboard support
(which is provided by your BIOS) stops working when you load a host
controller module.

I found a switch /norst (no reset) for usbaspi.sys which is supposed to fix this. Where do I find a DOS keyboard driver? I hunted all over but somehow missed it. I found mouse drivers for DOS/USB (hidusb.sys).

David