baslinux - Re: [BL] cfdisk finds Bad signature on partition table

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cfdisk finds Bad signature on partition table
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:06:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/2/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I have a hard drive that is running BL3 and BL2 perfectly.
But when I try to run fdisk with either one (cfdisk) to look at the
partition information with 'p' (print):

FATAL ERROR: Bad signature on partition table

You had this same problem in February of this year. I
suggested 'cfdisk -z' to ignore the partition table, but you
said that the hard drive was bad (I'm not sure if this is the
same drive).

I looked this up with google and found my problem again. It is probably the same hard drive - 3GB but sometimes it looks like 1.2GB. I just tried 'cfdisk -z' on the 200MB BL3 partition and instead of 'FATAL ERROR' it tells me I have FS Type 'Free Space' 206.44 MB.' For the 1.5GB BL2 partition, it is 1498MB of 'Free Space'. Is this what I should expect with the -z' option? Maybe this is one of the drives where we removed (by reformatting) a Dynamic Drive Overlay or EZ-Drive.

If I try the -c -s -f options (override kernel's values) it tells me I have illegal values.

As long as I don't use cfdisk, everything works fine. We must have partitioned this with PQ Magic.

I cannot switch between svgalib (links 2 graphical) and plain VGA with
this Tseng card - I lose the plain VGA second time I try to use it - lots of colored rectangles. Interesting card. This is the one that DOES work with X_SVGA server.

David