baslinux - Re: [BL] cfdisk finds Bad signature on partition table

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cfdisk finds Bad signature on partition table
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:07:11 +0000 (UTC)

My 3GB drive is still working find with BL2 and BL3 (except that I had to fix a timeout problem by disabling UDMA in BIOS for hdb).

We found a box of scsi drives and cables and have a scsi card.
They need terminating to boot and be recognized.
The first internal drive (Quantum) looks corroded. The DOS Adaptect scsi utility did not even detect it and linux found it but said it was not responding (it would not spin). It came set by default to terminated and 0,0,0 but the four pairs of pins can be jumpered to any ID and unterminated.

Next I tried the external drive, which I think is not terminated but I plugged the zip drive into it and set it as terminated.
DOS and linux both recognize the drive, ID 4 (though the case is marked ID 3 - someone probably changed a jumper inside the case at some point).
With the DOS Adaptec SCSI utility I tested the drive integrity and at 97% of 2GB it found one defective spot that it fixed.

Linux finds the drive but the scsi module (aic7xxx) told me:
READ CAPACITY FAILED Unable to read partition table.

So I assumed someone had low-level formatted the drive without then partitioning it, and I tried to partition it with cfdisk:
FATAL ERROR: Bad signature on partition table.
A lot of web research revealed that cfdisk cannot handle a drive that has not already been partitioned to start with. Maybe someone used the scsi utility to low-level format the drive.

I discovered that, even without a DOS aspi*.sys driver (my aspi8dos.sys for the other scsi card did not seem to work with this one), DOS PQmagic found it as drive 3 and I am currently formatting it as primary, ext2.
We probably used PQM on the other drive which cfdisk won't handle.

Is there some linux tool for BLs that will work with never-partitioned drives with no file system on them yet, and with my IDE drive that was partitioned already, and formatted, and working with linux?

There was one webpage saying a distribution would lose new users if they used cfdisk and someone had an unpartitioned new disk and got a FATAL ERROR.

I reread my old postings on this subject and partitioned with PQMagic Now after insmodding the scsi controller module, I still get READ CAPACITY FAILED Unable to read partition table, but cfdisk works (it shows an ext2 partition) and I am running mke2fs.

Would first running DOS fdisk (after a low-level format) have made cfdisk work?