baslinux - Re: [BL] netpbm

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] netpbm
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:25:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, mikkel meinike wrote:

On 10/25/05, David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/25/05, mikkel meinike <mimeini AT gmail.com> wrote:

And it's not Sindi's or Ron's fault. Several of the programs just simply
will not work with libc5. If you need to use netpbm, or any other complex,
modern application, you will be best off by using a glibc2-based
distribution like BL2, BL3 (with modifications) or a recent version of
Slackware.

Ok I can understand that. I succesfulley moved the whole netpbm and
alle the linked libs to mulinux so maby I just do the same here. I can
chet it right now but is there suport for eps in the working BL3

What is eps? You can tell if some program needs a file that is not there by doing 'ldd filename'. BL3 often needs something else added in order for another program to work with it.

> packages as it is? Maby the things I need du work ore is it that the > things that is in the BL3 packege is the only that is working?

I have added lots of things to BL2 and BL3. You just need to make sure that the dependencies are there. But some programs simply won't work with the older libc5, and apparently the newest dosemu is one of them. I got an older dosemu working with BL1 but it has a lot of bugs. And the older lynx from SW40 works with BL1 (probably also BL3) but the newer one I compiled only works offline with it, not online.

You can upgrade the libc5 to glibc in BL3 by using the SW81 glibc, which will also let you use precompiled xpdf and opera and kermit. Or to SW71 glibc.

/Mikkel