baslinux - Re: [BL] USB card reader

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB card reader
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:59:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 10/14/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
Has anyone successfully used BL2 or BL3 with SW8.1 kernel and a USB card
reader?

Not quite. I didn't use the SW8.1 kernel (I didn't want to waste all
of that time
downloading it) but instead a homebrew one.

If so, what is the procedure?

It is as described in the USB Digital Camera Howto. Basically, load the
modules (with modprobe usb-storage or equivalent; on BL you will need
to manually insmod the needed modules or install modprobe) and mount
the drive or partition. On newer distributions (Like DSL, I would assume)
this is done automatically.

We tried with Win98 and gave up, and with WinXP but it did not come with
the required drivers for the Smartmedia card reader.

That's surprising. Windows XP autodetected my USB storage devices.

It autodetected my USB SM reader but did not have the proper 'device driver(s)' for it, nor did the CD, and the computer was not connected to the web. It autodetected the USB camera that works in DOS and (someone else was doing this) was able to view all the photos on the CF card in it, but it really screwed up the card at the same time - we had taken only 71 photos of the possible 900 or so, and XP created a hundred or so 300KB
black images and then filled the rest of the disk with zero-length files, all of which I had to manually delete in order to use the card to take more photos without reformatting and losing what was on there already.

After this we used the CF PCMCIA adaptor and linux on the 486 laptop (the Compaq for which you helped get X working in 256 rather than 4 colors - it takes about 30 sec to display each photo in reduced quality, but better than the camera's LCD screen).

I tried with Redhat 7 which found the hardware but I had no idea what
to do next.

Probably mount the drive. It should be one of the SCSI device names
(e.g. /dev/sda, sdb2, etc...)

I tried a variety of device names (I think it actually told me which one it was) but nothing worked. The USB port may be broken. PCMCIA does not work on that laptop, or PLIP (tho laplink pro does work), or the CF parallel port reader. The hinge was also broken, which is why we have this nice 100MHz pentium. Apparently not the only reason.

Linux seems to need uhci or ohci something-or-other.

That's the module to get USB working.

I will read the HOWTO, try insmodding both of these (one should work) and then usb-storage or whatever else is suggested. I may practice first on the one that works in DOS.

We have SW71 CD (thanks to another list member) and can try that kernel.
But probably other list members would appreciate your smaller version if you can find the space to post it, with config file.

On our photo-taking trip I acquired a 1986 Clavinova electronic piano with midi input and I think also output. Once we make the proper cables, I will attempt to play midi files with it. It only plays piano, not harpsichord, guitar, celeste.... It is still on the back seat of a 1986 Toyota Corolla, in many pieces. Do we plug into the game port of the sound card? Does any list member happen to have the pinout?

David