baslinux - Re: [BL] USB card reader

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB card reader
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:47:22 -0400

On 10/14/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used BL2 or BL3 with SW8.1 kernel and a USB card
> reader?

Not quite. I didn't use the SW8.1 kernel (I didn't want to waste all
of that time
downloading it) but instead a homebrew one.

> If so, what is the procedure?

It is as described in the USB Digital Camera Howto. Basically, load the
modules (with modprobe usb-storage or equivalent; on BL you will need
to manually insmod the needed modules or install modprobe) and mount
the drive or partition. On newer distributions (Like DSL, I would assume)
this is done automatically.

> We tried with Win98 and gave up, and with WinXP but it did not come with
> the required drivers for the Smartmedia card reader.

That's surprising. Windows XP autodetected my USB storage devices.

> I tried with Redhat 7 which found the hardware but I had no idea what
> to do next.

Probably mount the drive. It should be one of the SCSI device names
(e.g. /dev/sda, sdb2, etc...)

> Linux seems to need uhci or ohci something-or-other.

That's the module to get USB working.

David