baslinux - Re: [BL] USB card reader

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB card reader
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 15:24:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

On 15 Oct 2005 at 2:36, sindi keesan wrote:
Has anyone successfully used BL2 or BL3 with SW8.1 kernel and a USB card
reader? If so, what is the procedure?

I have photopc and a serial cable for the Olympus digital camera, which
worked fine for downloading 1MB of photos via serial cable for a different
camera, but after a 5 week trip this newer camera has over 50 MB of files
and at 10KB/sec it would take quite a while and use up a few sets of
batteries.

We tried with Win98 and gave up, and with WinXP but it did not come with
the required drivers for the Smartmedia card reader. I tried with Redhat 7
which found the hardware but I had no idea what to do next.

Linux seems to need uhci or ohci something-or-other.

It's been a few months, but let's see what I can remember:

I'd been using Windows 98 (2nd edition), and wanted to get the pictures
from my new camera. It worked fine with the camera's docking cradle
(provides battery charging and a USB outlet & cable), after installing the
drivers from the CD.

My camera has no docking cradle.

But then I mail-ordered an SD card reader with a USB connection.
Windows identified the "new hardware", but was unable to find Win98 drivers
(the reader didn't come with software, and I downloaded some which didn'tt
work)

I had the same experience with 98 and the downloaded drivers also did not work.

I used the 'live CD' of DamnSmallLinux, and it found the USB device (sd03,
or some such??), and let me access the files on the SD card.

Thanks for that idea, I will try it soon. Another list member mailed me a DamnSL CD a while ago. But I would also like to know how to use BL with a USB kernel and this camera (and eventually other USB devices if needed).
I could also look for a PCMCIA adaptor like we have for the CF card.

Don't recall any more, such as what kernel or modules or whatever.
It's been several months since I used Linux

Thanks,
Sheldon