baslinux - Re: [BL] Mutt with BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mutt with BL
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:30:44 +0000 (UTC)

Why do you want the most recent mutt? A list member (Christof) put together a mutt package about a year ago for BL3 that works nicely.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Ian wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Im coming back to Linux after a years
absence, so Im hazy. Could I just add the glibc2 to the BL1.8?

Yes, that could be done. I tried that a few years ago
(using the glibc runtime package from Slackware 8.1)
and it did work on BL1 (after a bit of tinkering).

Ill take a look at your BL2 page but the old copy I
have says it needs a 486DX

That's right.

and I need to run on a SX. What about BL3?

BL3 will run on an SX (but it also uses libc5).

Mail is the most important thing for me. At the moment
I use a Dos mail program based on Elm and one reason
I want to move on to Mutt is that development has
stopped on the Dos program. Id like to use the latest
Mutt if possible

If you want to use the latest Mutt (without compiling yourself),
you will need a recent library. Even the glibc-runtime from
Slackware 8.1 might not be recent enough (but it is probably
worth a try). BTW I recommend against trying to install a
glibc-runtime from Slackware 9 or 10 (it's unlikely to work
on a BasicLinux foundation).

I notice Mutt uses two packages, openssl and an up to date
ncurses and Im wondering whether these will be ok with BL?

I would expect the ncurses and openssl for Slackware 8.1 to
work (assuming you install the glibc-runtime from Slackware 8.1).

Ive recently got fetchmail working with BL1.8
but need to move on from the links based mail system.

Have you considered pine? James got pine running on BL2
(he wrote the instructions in the BL2 FAQ). You could
probably get pine running on BL1 or BL3 (using the package
from Slackware 4.0).