baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 with PCMCIA compact flash adaptor

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 with PCMCIA compact flash adaptor
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:46:36 +0000 (UTC)

I copied over the parts related to this CF adaptor to the BL2 /etc/pcmcia/config file in a desktop computer that I got working with two PCMCIA ethernet cards in a PCMCIA socket with ISA PCMCIA controller card.

The CF adaptor is recognized properly in a laptop computer as hdc (though there is only one hard drive, hdb) and ide1 (secondary IDE controller).

The desktop computer has:
hda - ide hard drive
hdb - ide hard drive - ide0

hcd and hdd - cd-rom and ide zip drives - ide1

Cardmgr is having problems with the pcmcia ide CF card (uses ide_cs module).

hde: Micron ... (the card name)
hdf probing, no response
(It varied the probe numbers and tried a few more times).
hde: Micron 3MB irq3
hde: hde1
ide2

This is not actually on an ide controller but cardmgr seems to think it is on a tertiary controller. But it finds it as hde (secondary controller master) then also looks for hdf (can't find anything there). The zip drive drivers were not loaded - should they be? (Atapi floppy kernel needed, for internal IDE drive). Zip I think is hdd.

Can I edit the config file somehow to make this PCMCIA drive work with CF cards in our desktop adaptor?

---

I found cardctl in BL2 pcmcia.tgz but not in BL3. I tried cardctl eject and insert (with a working ethernet card) and tried to rmmod and insmod the ethernet modules again but got errors from cardmgr. Steven said to use cardctl to 'hot-swap' - how?

We can at least use the PCMCIA ethernet card now to transfer BL2 from this computer with the ISA PCMCIA controller to our laptop computers. That part works (it is not IDE, not so confusing to cardmgr).

Still hoping someone can get the static Abiword working with BL2 and explain to me what I am doing wrong.

Netpbm did a lovely job of making 2x2" passport photos (jpegtopnm, pamcut to 600x600 pixels, combine six photos into 3 across and two down using pnmcat, pnmtojpeg) but the photo printer at K-Mart lopped off a margin all the way around so they are no longer square. I may have to add a bit of white around the edge for it to lop off if a photo store can't do better. Netpbm does not work at all on the computer with onboard AGP and shared RAM (which won't boot linux if I switch back to PCI and forget to change RAM from 4 to 2MB). Floating point exception. This might be what causes pictview not to work under dosemu on that computer.