baslinux - Re: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:26:14 +0000 (UTC)

Now that we have cured the GPF problem due to setting memory larger than actual, we still have an 'internal stack overflow' when we try to run Syschk under MS DOS 7.10 standalone. Removing the sound card (which is IRQ7) and/or changing onboard parallel port to IRQ5 did not help.

Nor does setting STACKS=64, 512.

We changed from two EDO and two FP SIMMS to all FP simms (60 ns) - should we be setting something in BIOS about RAM speed? Memtest passed the two pairs of SIMMs we were using at first and we tried them separately (one pair at a time).

If we boot with FreeDOS we don't have this problem. Is MS DOS 7.10 buggy in this respect? We already have three computers where FreeDOS won't boot from hard drive but this would be the first with an MS DOS 7.10 problem. It is nice to have choices! I was using the computer for several years with DR-DOS so we could try booting with it from floppy disk as another experiment.