baslinux - Re: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:33:18 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> The recipient of our first computer says he would like to compile
> all his own files for linux, including kernel, eventually.

Fortunately, you know how to compile a kernel. Also fortunate, you have
experience with odd things like upgrading glibc to a newer version. He can
ask here if he needs help. Suggestions: Make sure you have gcc 2.95.3 and 3.2
something, probably 3.2.3. gcc 2.95.3 is recommended for most everything,
including Linux and MPlayer, while 3.2.3 is needed for newer packages such
as KDE or glibc 2.3.2. Also, I recommend that he starts with BL2, installs
binaries until he gets a system which he is happy with, and then collects and
builds source code packages by looking in pkgtool to figure out which source
code packages to download and build. He will learn a lot from reading the old
posts to this list.

> Was I ever that idealistic? We gave him a 2GB drive to play in.

I don't think I remember any mention of your idealism. Idealism in this case
probably leads to practical benefits, including security fixes and
smaller/faster binaries (if he compiles for optimization).

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com