baslinux - Re: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:54:57 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan"

> Could a GPF be caused by someone having set a Cyrix PR200 MX cpu
> (which the web says is 150MHz) to run at 167MHz? Syschk thinks it
> is 185MHz.

It probably is. Have you tried the kernel which works with the other
versions of BL?

> The crash occurs just before I would expect 'calibrating delay loop
> XXXX Bogomips'. It may have been set to 2x83 instead of 2z75 MHz.
> In fact we may have set it this way ourselves a few years ago.

Here on 2.4, I see "CPU" follows the hash tables. So I would check
the CPU in any case.

> We have Cyrix PR200's in other computers running at 150MHz and
> syschk thinks they are about as fast as an Intel 133MHz. Cyrix
> claims they are as faster as Intel 200MHz. They must be measuring
> different things. I have found them slower at manipulating large
> images than a PI 133.

Cyrix's marketing department tried to spin the truth.

> I have the PDF manual for this DFI board. Why would DOS and
> ramdisk linux not have the problem but loop or ext2 linux do have
> it?

Try the ramdisk kernel with ext2. This error seems to occur while
the kernel is still booting, so is an interaction between Linux
and your hardware.

> > The young friend would like to know if he can download entire
> > threads from this mail list because he is trying to read it all
> > in reasonable order, offline. I think he may already know more
> > than I do about linux.

On https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/, you will find
links to gzip'd text versions of all the message threads. View
with zless.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com