baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:49:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I also tried to view a .png file (in both CLI and Xvesa) and was told
> Failed to open /dev/rtc. Should that be included in the package,
> along with some default /root/.mplayer/font.desc codecs.conf and
> input.conf
> so as to avoid error messages that would confuse beginners?
>
> rtc - real time clock

Once again, it's not necessary to use MPlayer. If MPlayer has access to
it, it improves performance slightly.

> mknod rtc c 10 135 - removed that error message but mplayer still
> does not 'play' a png file - maybe it is not supposed to do that.

I don't think I had libpng installed when I compiled it. Use zgv or
xli for images.

> While looking for more information I learned that I could put into
> /root/.mplayer/config the line ao=oss (so I don't need to specify
> the audio output CLI with -ao oss). I also added vo=X11. mplayer
> -ao help or -vo help list the available devices. Maybe David would
> want to set up a default config file that works with BL's.

Maybe.

> I also ran across someone's list of modules they used for ALSA
> sound, which included snd_seq_device, snd_page_alloc, snd_timer,
> snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss, among others. None of these are
> needed to use mpg123 or play/sox and I don't think they are in
> Christof's packages for BL.

ALSA is a completely different architecture. I have a distribution
here (in fact, I'm typing this message from it) which uses ALSA
instead of OSS for sound. snd_pcm_oss provides /dev/dsp emulation,
so I can still use MPlayer.

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, David Moberg wrote:
>
> > The binary copy of mplayer (which I am hosting) has been
> > updated. Here is a list of changes:
> >
> > - It is now mplayer.tgz, a Slackware package. Use pkg
> > to start the basic installation
> The install script appears to unpack the mplayer.bz file and then
> probably uses bunzip2 to decompress it. Installation worked fine.

I didn't test this script out much, so that's good. Try installing
without bzip2 and you'll see why it's recommended.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com