baslinux - Re: [BL] gpf 0000 in linux

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] gpf 0000 in linux
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:24:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

Our fastest computer no longer boots into linux, starting today (after I changed to the onboard AGP video from PCI, and changing back did not help).

I ran into some really wierd problem regarding PCI bus and Linux recently: I could not get any (PCI) NIC to work with any Linux I tried in the machine in question. I presumed from the testing I did that the PCI bus was somehow incompatible with Linux: first time I've ever seen anything like that. But it doesn't sound like your problem is of this nature.

Here's a possibility, though. I assume the onboard AGP is sharing the computer's RAM for its memory? I had some wierd problems associated with shared RAM with onboard video. It didn't involve booting, but the computer kept freezing up after running for a time (after several days, I believe). When that would happen, I could do nothing but hit the power button and restart. Pretty disconcerting. I determined it wasn't application-related. I decided it could well be the shared RAM not being actually shared properly. I shut down the onboard video and got myself a decent video card, and the problem went away. I therefore avoid onboard video with shared RAM whenever possible. Could this be a source for your problems?

James