baslinux - Re: [BL] installing BL3 from ext2 hd partition to loop .img file

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] installing BL3 from ext2 hd partition to loop .img file
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:36:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> It [zip drive] worked with imm.o
>
> Is there some easy way I could add imm.o to initfs.gz on the disk I
> made from blppaz.gz? Then hopefully it would work on either type
> of parport drive (it would try to insmod ppa and if that failed
> imm).

OK. This assumes the floppy (ext2fs) is mounted on /fd. You'll need a
little writable space somewhere else. A ramdisk or hard drive, mounted
on /hd will work.

cp /fd/boot/initfs.gz /hd
gunzip /hd/initfs.gz
umount /fd
mount -o loop /hd/initfs /fd
cp imm.o /fd/lib/modules/2.2.16

Now, edit /fd/linuxrc. insmod ppa is on line ten. You can add insmod
imm right afterward.

umount /fd
gzip /hd/initfs

Remount the disk on /fd and:

mv /hd/initfs.gz /fd/boot

> I could also replace the kernel with one that does sound, etc.
> Even a 2.4 bare.i should fit.

Just replace /fd/boot/zimage with your favorite one. Make sure
to update the modules, if necessary.

> How would I copy this disk to a file again? I copied from file to
> disk with dd, can I use it to copy from disk to file and gzip the
> result?

Yes.

> Iomega said linux supports zip drives from kernel 2.2.14 on.

Correct.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com