baslinux - Re: Fw: Re: [BL] Trouble installing /w one hard drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Termina <termina AT gmail.com>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [BL] Trouble installing /w one hard drive
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:03:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Termina wrote:

Yes. Actually the floppy version of BL3 boots
with LILO and uses it for the HD installation.

Thanks, I found a lilo.tgz especially made for BL3. ^_^

I think it would help to put a note at the BL3 website that the floppy disk version uses lilo and sets up lilo for the HD installation too, whereas the loop version uses loadlin and sets up the HD to boot with loadlin.

How can I get my NIC working,

You need to insmod the correct module for your NIC.

and set up my network?

After the insmod, you do:
-------------------------
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
-------------------------
That number is just an example.

I have tulip cards too.

On the first computer type

insmod tulip
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

On the second computer type:

insmod tulip (assuming you have two tulip cards)
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

If you got this right you can then type on the first computer:
ping 192.168.1.2 and it will send packets at maybe 0.2 ms per packet
to the other computer. Sometimes I have to rmmod and insmod (remove and reinstall) tulip before it will work, no idea why - old card?

You can eventually, if you have lots of RAM, add the above lines to rc so that they will execute when you boot.

I am assuming that you know as little about this as I did to start with - I got a lot of help from this list.

BasicLinux does not use modprobe, it uses insmod:
insmod tulip
But first you need to go to Slackware 7.1 and get
tulip.o from the /modules/2.2.16/net directory.
Put it in: /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc

Thanks alot for your help!