baslinux - Fw: Re: [BL] Trouble installing /w one hard drive

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Fw: Re: [BL] Trouble installing /w one hard drive
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:06:19 +1300

Termina wrote:

> Would LILO work on a 486 machine?

Yes. Actually the floppy version of BL3 boots
with LILO and uses it for the HD installation.

> How can I get my NIC working,

You need to insmod the correct module for your NIC.

> and set up my network?

After the insmod, you do:
-------------------------
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
-------------------------
That number is just an example.

> The README.txt says netsetup, but there is no
> such command.

It's not a command. It's an editable script.
You'll find it in /root

> modprobe tulip gives me 'modprobe: not found'.

BasicLinux does not use modprobe, it uses insmod:
------------
insmod tulip
But first you need to go to Slackware 7.1 and get
tulip.o from the /modules/2.2.16/net directory.
Put it in: /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc

> Should I try to find another NIC?

No, if it's a tulip NIC, the tulip.o module should
work (as long as you get it from Slackware 7.1).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru