baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:57:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

It gets 93942 bytes as usual (about 90K) and then stops.
I tried this multiple times with wget and lynx. Something in the file is causing the download to terminate. Maybe a bzip version would download better? I will try to download to my shell account now instead of to my computer.

It downloaded to my shell account in about 3 seconds, the whole file and thence with kermit to my computer.
I wonder what is going wrong when I download via the ISP.

I tested this in BL2 in 8-bit color at t640 80 and 1204. Unlike the delilinux version, ther are no white vertical stripes when loading but I still get a black screen and eventually a blue rxvt (not using icewm, just Xvesa and rxvt). If I use icewm the colors come out pale instead of primary.

They are pastel (black/light blue/pink/purple/light green) instead of dark (black/blue/red/green). Same for Opera - predominantly pink instead of dark olive green (on Trident video card).

This might make it easier to see the screen in Opera if I want to run at 8-bit, on a computer where it is that or nothing (no higher color depth available).

I then tested with 24-bit color and Opera, xv and xpdf display as expected, so this is working as well as the delilinux version but in a different set of 8-bit colors.

I will try it eventually on the Compaq laptop in 16-bit mode to see if I get more than 4 colors there.

Your new statically compiled Xvesa is about 8/9.5 the size of the delilinux one, which needs libc, libm, and ld-linux. This is nice.
If it were dynamically compiled to use uClibc it should be even smaller.

I was able to read the words in Opera in 8-bit mode. I tried links2 8-bit and got colored blotches instead of the menu at screen top. Links2 works fine in 24-bit mode.

Opera 6 works in 2-bit color (but not very well, it crashes a lot).

It is nice to have an Xvesa that works in both Bl2 and Bl3 and is smaller than the delilinux one, however imperfect it may still be. Thanks.