baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3jpeg.tgz - my jpeg viewing package for 8-bit video

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3jpeg.tgz - my jpeg viewing package for 8-bit video
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:25:54 +0000 (UTC)

I have posted keesan.freeshell.org/bl3jpeg.tgz which I just tried out on the computer for which it was intended, a 486 DX25 with 8MB RAM. It had Compaq video (recognized in DOS by compushow as Compaq, to 640x480x256 colors, but NOT as VESA, and lxpic displays only at 16 color VGA since it needs VESA to do more colors).

seejpeg with the older svgalib package from SW3.2 (VGA not VESA) was displaying 16-color only the upper left quadrant of an image, on a Trident VESA pci video card, so I updated to SW4.0 svgalib package and got VESA display 16 million colors at 640.

seejpeg apparently requires VESA to display the whole image because even with this later svgalib it only displays a quarter of the image in 16-shade greyscale.

I did not try xli because it would also be 16-shade greyscale on this computer.

I managed eventually to replace seejpeg and libjpeg with zgv and libvgagl, and still only filled 80% of the ramdisk. (I deleted microcom since it won't work with my bbs, and lilo since I am using loadlin, and install-to-hd since this is a dedicated 2-floppy linux, and setleds and the related man pages and a few more bits of X that I had missed).

I then did cat /dev/ram0|gzip > /fd/bl3zgv.gz and got a file system that fits in 1.4MB including continue.bat and swap.zip and I have tested in 4MB ramdisk with 4MB working RAM and links displays images at 256-shade greyscale. (I did not specify greyscale - might look even better if I did so with zgv).

To convert bl3jpeg.tgz to bl3zgv.tgz delete seejpeg and libjpeg* and add libvgagl.so.1 linked to so.1.3.1 and zgv, for use on other computers with 8-bit 'color' (or greyscale), to view images with links at more than 4-bit
depth.

It takes maybe 10 sec to display a 50K image and I am told the video is PCI 0 and the software expects PCI 1, but it works anyway on the 486. It would probably also work even better on the 486, and it would work (slowly) on the 386 SX 20 with 387 and 5MB total ram if I figured out how to use it by the loop method but I have no idea how to convert bl3zgv.gz to fs.img.

Any suggestions how to do this? I could also just add the viewer files to loop BL3 and delete the other things I don't want.