baslinux - [BL] bl3jpeg.tgz - my jpeg viewing package for 8-bit video

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] bl3jpeg.tgz - my jpeg viewing package for 8-bit video
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:21:01 +0000 (UTC)

keesan.freeshell.org/bl3jpeg.tgz
About 300K package contains:
libvga.so.1.3.1 and libvgagl.so.1.3.1 from SW4.0
libjpeg.so.1.3 from SW3.2
libvga.config from SW3.2

seejpeg from SW3.2
documentation for svgalib and seejpeg

libvga.so.1.3.1 is 120K larger than 1.2.10 from SW3.2 but I included it because:
1. The older library does not support 'chipset VESA' which you need to add to the .config file for my Trident or Tseng PCI video cards to get them working at more than VGA resolution with zgv.
2. The older library does not support my S3 Virge card at all.

With the newer library, zgv works with both cards but seejpeg won't work with the Trident (it does sort of work with the older library but you see only one quarter of the image). xli works fine with the Trident too.

libvgagl is not required by seejpeg but it is used by zgv.

If you have space add zgv from BL1 add-on page, which is about 400K as opposed to 14K for seejpeg, and requires libvgagl (54K additional). You can delete libjpeg (107K) since that is used only by seejpeg. So it takes up about 350K extra relative to seejpeg.

My package just barely fits onto a 1.44MB floppy disk together with bl3mini.gz, the file system for my 2-floppy ramdisk BL3 minus X and pcmcia and ethernet. Remove the libvgagl.so.1.3.1 for ramdisk use, or add zgv for use with loop or ext2 BL3.

I put this together for use with old laptops that have 8-bit color, which Xvesa won't do, so you can at least use links with seejpeg in 256 color as viewer (except with Trident video) instead of xli with 4-bit color. Choose chipset VGA in libvga.config for 4-bit color or experiment with chipset VESA for Tseng or SiS (not for S3 or Cirrus).

I have not yet tested this setup on my old laptop with mono VGA 8-bit graphics. I would need to copy the swap file to the hard drive before running BL3 in ramdisk, as links runs out of RAM otherwise.

Would someone else let me know if it works for them on a laptop? Just pkg it on top of BL3, edit libvga.config (set the mouse if it is not the default 'microsoft' serial), monitor HorizSync (or use the default 640), and chipset VESA or VGA (if it is not recognized automatically) and type seejpeg filename.jpg (or add -g if you have 4-bit graphics to see nice greyscale instead of jagged color or greyscale).

Get Steven's BL1 zgv add-on if you are not happy with seejpeg and have extra space.

If anyone wants I can also post my minibl3.gz that goes on disk2 along with this package, and the autoexec.bat/config.sys/continue.bat that I use on disk 1 with loadlin, zimage, and DOS system files. This lets me run BL3 in one 4MB ramdisk. (I have not figured out if this is any particular advantage over running the 2-floppy BL2 the same way, except the file system will fit on one disk and you don't need perfect disks because both disks are regular DOS disks, normally formatted, in fact disk1 can be 720K).