baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3jpeg.tgz - my jpeg viewing package for 8-bit video

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3jpeg.tgz - my jpeg viewing package for 8-bit video
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:32:37 +0000 (UTC)

To set up links to work with seejpeg or zgv as a viewer, ESC, S for setup, file associations, change xli and xli -quiet to zgv or seejpeg. (zgv -z if you want the image to fill the page; seejpeg -g if you want greyscale, etc.). Then change it from viewing under X to viewing in a console - you need to X both parts referring to console or you cannot exit the viewer while in links.

I also changed terminal options to un-X color so that links will show up better in mono.

The only .jpg in BL3 (earth.jpg in mgp) does NOT display with seejpeg but the other jpegs I checked do so. With earth.jpg I got a complaint about not being able to display in 32K/16M color on both cards (with 2-4MB video RAM). zgv works on earth.jpg.

The swap.zip file that comes with BL3 (unzips to about 6MB) is only about 6K zipped so I was able to copy it to my second disk along with the .gz file system. I can unzip it (with busybox) to a hard drive, cd to where the swap.img is located, and type swapon swap.img. So I have two self-contained disks that will work on any computer with VGA chip to browse with images in a 4MB RAMdisk with 4M additional RAM (without X), with no hard disk, but is likely to crash unless you have some sort of swap file when using links even without a viewer. Probably even a floppy disk with swap.img would work (slowly).

We are swapping around hard drives (someone gave us his old Apple 750MB which works as IDE) after which I will try this in 8MB RAM. Seejpeg is a bit slow even in much more RAM, on small images, don't know why.