baslinux - [BL] hope to do a little BL testing

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] hope to do a little BL testing
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:54:10 -0600 (CST)

I've been meaning to get some more BL testing done and have recently taken
some steps in that direction. I'll see how my timeflow goes over the next
weeks and how/what I can fit in. As a start, I've installed Slack 4.0 in
an emulator on my newer computer. I also wanted to report that a package
from BL3 that I tried to install there (links2) was largely successful:
there were some messages about certain directories not being found, which
is not too surprising given the way BL3's dir structure differs from
straight Slack. But links2 graphical works fine there--great improvement
over Netscape 4.51 that came with Slack 4! I plan to try compiling naim
there next: I contacted the author about the failure in compiling it you
mentioned, Steven, and he asked to send some output related to it and he
would do some diagnosis. I still think this chat client would be a nice
enhancement to BL3.

Not sure what I'll do/find time for after that. But I have recently had
occasion to install Win2K in an emulator on that same machine (there's a
remote printing client here at the Univ. that requires Win2K minimum to
install--thus do educational institutions become marketing arms for the M$
corporation). I have Win98 installed in another. So, it seems maybe I
could do some testing of the samba client that's been talked about
recently onlist. Shall I give that a shot Steven and see what kind of
success/failure I might have on 98 and 2K?

James