baslinux - Re: [BL] Starting X at boot + passwords

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Starting X at boot + passwords
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:36:35 +1300

Joel wrote:

> when I try to add "/usr/X11/bin/startx" to /etc/rc, it
> complains when run and says "/etc/xinit" not found.

Perhaps it might work better if you put it in /etc/profile

> Second, when xlock runs, it says this:
>
> Name: root@basiclinux
> Password:
>
> And then when you type something or not, nothing appears.

As you probably have noticed, BL3 does not do logins
(it simply says: press Enter to activate console).
I don't know much about xlock, but I imagine it does
not contain a login capability, it simply hooks into
the standard Linux login (which is missing in BL3).

> if I WERE to create a dual boot with BL3 and BL2,
> would I be able to just create a new partition starting
> at the middle of the blocks on my main partition.

Are those blocks currently unallocated (not part of an
existing partition)? If so, you can allocate them to
a new partition using fdisk.

> I'm assuming I can just fdisk in between sectors.

Only if that part of the HD is unallocated. fdisk
cannot steal space from existing partitions.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru