baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling for BL with FC1

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling for BL with FC1
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:42:14 +1300

Stephen Clement wrote:

> I would like to compile several small apps
> for BL3 with Fedora Core 1. I have GCC installed,
> and can compile stuff, but I want to be able to
> compile apps for BL3. Any ideas as where to get started?

I think that is called cross-compiling. It certainly
can be done, but to compile normal (dynamic) binaries
you need to have libc5 (the full package) on the machine
that does the compiling. I don't mean that the compiling
machine must actually be running on libc5 -- the libc5
files just have to be available somewhere on the machine.
Of course that assumes you intend compiling binaries
that use the libraries on BL3. But that's not necessary.
It would probably be much easier to forget about shared
libraries and simply compile static binaries. Then you
wouldn't have to worry about how to tell your compiler
to use the libc5 stuff (rather than whatever libraries
you are currently running on your system).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru