baslinux - Re: [BL] (no subject)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:58:21 +1300

kenm AT surfbest.net wrote:

> My first idea to correct the Xvesa problems was to
> write a "clean" set of BIOS interrupt vectors into
> memory after BL3 boots. This is still a good idea,
> but I haven't figured out exactly how to do it,

Perhaps this is something the loadlin developers should
be looking at. A cleaner boot of Linux from DOS.

> I wrote a quick program to change the first 32.
> On the basis of tests with a 486, a Pentium, and
> a Pentium II, this seems to work flawlessly and to
> allow booting from a "normal" DOS environment

That is very interesting. It could be the solution
to our loadlin/Xvesa problems.

> I have found a "multiboot" program which comes with
> utilities to do this with the use of a temporary boot
> floppy.

I don't understand this part. Does this mean a user
must boot from floppy to use your method?

> After that, all that is needed is to run my "fix1f.exe"
> program with the vectors "vector.bin" in the same
> directory.

I would definitely like to get a copy of your package
and experiment with it.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru