baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:43:08 -0400 (EDT)

> These days I have played with console e-mail client Mutt.
> This is a very interesting piece of software.

Mutt is great, but I can think of two things which make it less
suitable for BL:

1) it is not very intuitive to use (I think it is like vi in this
respect - very powerful, but takes some learning)

2) it does not talk to a remote smtp server, so requires a mail server
such as sendmail to be running

If you want to replace the BL mail system, I'd reccommend pine (from
slackware) - which does online POP3, sending to a smtp server, and is
also a news reader.

However, Steven has done a lot of work to get a minimal mail system
working for BL. I am sure he looked at common clients like mutt and
pine, but chose pmail, etc because they were smaller and had all the
features he wanted.