baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:30:12

On 26 Sep 04 at 3:16, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>I would be interested in using Mutt if it lets you send binary attachments
>in base64 automatically. So please if there is a choice, compile in that
>feature. Pmail does not seem to have any way to do this.

Pmail (for Linux) does mail transport (mainly POP3 and SMTP
protocols), as fetchmail, emailSMTP and many other larger MTAs
(mail transport agents) do.

Mutt is a very sophisticated mail reader and editor. The POP3 online
interface was added only to the last version and is very similar to
online news reader software (they give you the header information and
leave it to you whether you download the entire message or mark it as
'read'). This feature in an e-mail client is of growing Iteresting
for those users who do not need to bother about connecting time, and
also for those who want to delete spam on the remote server.

>I am not familiar
>enough with mutt or pop3 to answer your questions about a single large or
>multiple small files.

In the meantime I found a couple of small utilities on the web that
convert file formats between Pegasus mail (for DOS) and the standard
Unix folder format. So the file format topic will not be so crucial.

Anyway I would like to know whether there are vital differences in
performance between fetchmail, emailSMTP, pmail or whether the main
criterion of choice was their size.

BTW: Has anybody experience with mail to multiple recipients
(disclosed and undisclosed)? Mutt seems not to pay much attention to
this task. Pegasus mail for DOS or Arachne offer excellent solutions.
What about linux mail clients?

Christof

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov