baslinux - Re: [BL] What is /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 which crashes BL2?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] What is /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 which crashes BL2?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 03:00:11 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks, that was very helpful. Certain models of DFI ,including ours, from 1997, play Fur Elise as a warning message if:

cpu has problems (bent pin, not seated, etc)
cpu is overheating due to fan problems (no fan, broken fan...)
power supply voltage or wattage too low esp if AMD or Cyrix cpus (we have Intel in this computer but AMD and Cyrix in two others and have heard the tune a few times before)

Shortly before the concert started, my partner stuck a hard drive in the computer temporarily (while trying to get the dead one working) and it hit the fan and made noises. I have asked him to replace the fan. When I turned on the computer the fan did not go on.

I am told that the hard drive which died had nothing to do with my running SVGALib with the wrong settings, it was dying anyway. I do recall the CMOS sometimes not finding that drive, previously. Can linux crashing actually damage a hard drive?

Does anyone know how to fix an NEC monitor that keeps going black for a few seconds? It was given to us with a different problem (one of the control buttons stuck). Blacks out for 1/2 to 3 seconds, including just now. 17", 1600 res, and we just gave away the two reliable ones to friends in their 80s who could not see the smaller screens and I need one working one for work. The blanking is getting worse as I leave it on longer (twice while typing this sentence). Expanding solder joint or bad component? It is not off more often than on.