baslinux - [BL] What is /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 which crashes BL2?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] What is /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 which crashes BL2?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:41:30 +0000 (UTC)

I am trying to transfer all of BL2 (tar/gzip all the files into one large temp.gz) to transfer to a new hard drive (in a computer where the old one is hopeless and even crashes a low-level formatting 2/3 of the way through).

At /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 the tar process stalls and I cannot exit with Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Alt-Del. This happened twice. On the one remaining working computer there is no such file but there are a bunch of other files in that directory with similar names, all 256 bytes, all today's date. Are these temporary files that I could safely delete? I don't find info in my big linux book about this.

Both computers do have a 00.0 with different md5sums.

Does anyone know why the computer where we replaced the hard drive and reformatted a new one played Fur Elise endlessly after that until I turned it off? Is there some way to turn off a PC speaker via software? It has done this on other occasions. Perhaps a joke on the part of a designer?