baslinux - Re: [BL] What is /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 which crashes BL2?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] What is /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3 which crashes BL2?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:40:10 +0000 (UTC)

My computer is a Pentium with PII, built in 1998. The problem appears to be something wrong with a PCI bridge which causes linux to crash whenever you access the above file. Someone else crashed it with cat, someone trying to do a backup, and I even crashed it with md5sum. From what is said below, these seem to be temporary files or a 'virtual file system which stores info' that can be bypassed (all of /proc) during a backup.

One time md5sum worked but then tar crashed things, and a few times before this tar worked but then it did not (I kept trying every time it crashed) so on the theory that rebooting would change the file, I rebooted twice (the first time I thought I might get the old file back and not get a new one until exiting linux) and this worked and I was able to tar things.

Martin Mares is the one who wrote offering to improve mdacon so it would have a scroll buffer. I will write suggesting my solution.

The PCI bridge is PIIX4 APCI and uses the file of the above name. Other bridges use different names. Can anyone on this list explain what a PCI bridge is and does?

The kernel may not have anything to do with it since SW71 has a later kernel (later than 1998).
----------------

Re: /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3

Martin Mares (mj AT ucw.cz)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:04:59 +0200

Hi,

> I have some problems with recent kernels.
> When I try to read the file /proc/bus/pci/00/07.3
> the system hangs. I cant even switch VT-s.

This is a known bug in Intel PIIX4 chip you have -- it locks up the
system
when attempting to read one of its configuration registers.
Fortunately, this
register is not in the standard header region available to normal
users --
you must be root to crash the system.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj AT ucw.cz> [7]http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/

------------------------------
Q: How do I fix the SCSI tape drive errors I encounter when backing up
the /proc directory?

I have a system with an HP 1599 SCSI internal tape drive. Everything
worked fine until I tried to do a complete system backup.

Here's the tar error:

proc/bus/pci/00/
proc/bus/pci/00/13.0
proc/bus/pci/00/11.0
proc/bus/pci/00/07.3
proc/bus/pci/00/07.2
proc/bus/pci/00/07.1
proc/bus/pci/00/07.0

tar: Cannot write to /dev/st0: Input/output error

A: Exclude the /proc directory from your backups. It is a virtual
filesystem, storing information on the status of your hardware and all
running tasks.