baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 compiling, Ion WM

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 compiling, Ion WM
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, James Miller wrote:

> A couple of rather unrelated items in this post - one about compiling for
> BL3 and the other about the Ion window manager (for Sindi). First,
> compiling.
>
> Are add-ons for BL3 to be compiled statically, Steven? I'm considering
> doing a Slack 3.5 install here in a VMWare virtual machine and doing some
> compiling for BL3. Were I to try compiling newer programs (say, a
> graphical browser), what should I steer clear of? You addressed earlier
> statically compiled programs stating, if memory serves, that all programs
> in BL3 are statically compiled. Does that mean programs folks compile
> themselves for BL3 should likewise be statically compiled?

I think this was done so that BL3 could be kept smaller (by not including
all the library files).

I just looked at the Ion wm and a review of it. The source code of the
older version is about 150K and you need a few specific tools to compile
it. Binaries are available for Debian and Mandrake and Gentoo (probably
not the versions corresponding to BL2). The reviewer liked the fact that
you can set up your own keystroke combinations for frequently used
features. And one F key will get you a terminal window or a place to type
in the name of the program to be run. I don't think there is a menu.

I may look into this more after I figure out how to make my 2-parport
computer print and how to get Xvesa to work as user so that I can print
with xv or Opera, until which time I don't have much use for X or any
window manager.