baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 compiling, Ion WM

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 compiling, Ion WM
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:56:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > after I figure out how to make my 2-parport computer print
>
> You might find the following helpful:
> /docs/Linux-HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO
> /docs/linux-2.2.16/parport.txt
> http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm
> http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/

I did subscribe to this list and got one question answered by the author
of parport_pc, who said the module was probing for addresses of parports
and on my older card it messed things up, so I needed to specify the
address. If I specify one address it does not automatically find the
second parport.

My other MGA cards work correctly with parport_pc without specifying the
address. The bad one is set to 0x378.

I just tested printing with a MGA/parport card that is set not to 0x378
but to 0x3BC. It works fine with parport_pc without specifying io and
this time it finds BOTH parports. (If I specify io it finds only the one
I specified and I have not learned to specify both on one line). It
prints to lp0 but not to lp1. So my problem is apparently the MGA/parport
card. I have two extras, one being 0x3BC, which I will replace the flaky
one with.

I still don't know how to use both printer ports in linux but one is
enough. I can use a printer switch (AB).

This still leaves the problem of not being able to print in Xvesa (xv or
opera) because I can't run Xvesa as user. How do I do suid user and what
does it mean? I read the man page and it warned me not to let users use
Xvesa because of the security holes. Can anyone else get Xvesa working as
'user'?

Also can't use gs with SVGAlib as user due to some problem with
permissions but I don't think I need to do that if I just want to print
and not use SVGAlib to display. I can use ghostscript command-line
without lpd or X. I did chmod +x on all executables - do I need to do
that for libraries as well to let user use them?

To use other programs as user I need to copy over all the config files
from /root to /user. Lynx and links work apart from lack of configuration
files. .profile would help too.